The Swan Valley is only a ten (10) minute drive from Midland Haven but its boutique vineyards, fresh local produce and rolling vineyards make it feel like a different world. Find more than 40 world-class wineries, 6 breweries, 2 distilleries, gourmet artisan goods, talented local artists, food and craft markets, vibrant studios and more than 40 quality cafes and restaurants. Discover the oldest winemaking region in WA, with the first vines planted more than 180 years ago! Easy drive from Midland makes it the perfect option for day-trippers. Navigate the 32 km scenic loop known as the Swan Valley Food and Wine Trail which has over 150 attractions. How slow you go, and whether you go by tour, bike or car is completely up to you.
Historic Guildford was established in 1829 and classified as an historic town by the National Trust of Australia (WA). With its heritage buildings, early settlement and convict history, antique stores, character pubs and village charm, Guildford emits the feel of a bygone era. It is only a 6 minute car drive or 10 - 15 minutes by train or bus. Things to do:
- Wander one of four heritage walk trails
- Visit the Cradle of the Colony Exhibition at the Swan Valley Visitor Centre
- Stop for lunch and a glass of Swan Valley wine at the Rose and Crown Hotel c.1841
- Browse the antique and home decor shops on James Street
- Grab a bite to eat from the wide range of cafes and restaurants
- View what life was like behind bars at the Guildford Gaol c.1841, located at Guildford Heritage Precinct and the historic workers' cottage, Taylor's Cottage
- Find a treasure at the Guildford Markets
- Visit the impressive Woodbridge House c.1885 located on the banks of the Swan River in Woodbridge and today operated by the National Trust of Australia (WA)
- View Padbury's Stores and Residence. Built in 1869, it was originally one of Guildford's main stores.
Perth Hills (Kalamunda and Mundaring):
- ENJOY a picnic or BBQ, canoe or swim at Lake Leschenaultia – a top swimming hole
- EXPERIENCE the beauty of the Perth Hill’s national parks and state forests.
- GET on the Munda Biddi Cycle Trail which winds through some spectacular scenery.
- FOLLOW the Perth Hills wine trails to sample local wines, cider and produce.
- EXPLORE the Mundaring Weir Precinct and No 1 Pump Station.
- BROWSE through the region’s arts centres, studios and galleries.
- TAKE a guided spotlight tour at Karakamia Wildlife Sanctuary or ride a camel.
- PICK your own fruit (during harvest) or go on an apple orchard tour.
- WALK the Railway Reserves Heritage Trail, KEP Track or Bibbulmun Track.
- LEARN more about the colourful history of the area at the District Museum